Great Wall of China – Did You Know?
The Great Wall of China is the pride of the country. Originally built as a defensive barrier against invaders’ incursions from the north, this stunning construction has become the symbol of China but did you know that…
- It is not a single wall. It’s a collection of walls and fortifications built by different dynasties over 2,000 years.
- Glutinous rice flour is used to hold the bricks together! This “ingredient” was incorporated into the mortar for its binding power.
- Following the Wall, you’ll see beautiful beaches, mountains and a desert corridor across 9 provinces.
- They say that over a million people died during its construction. This makes the Great Wall of China the longest cemetery on Earth.
- It didn’t work so well. Although it’s massive, enemies still managed to cross it. The Manchurian invasion in the 17th century, for example, resulted in the fall of the Ming dynasty.
- On the contrary of what many think, one can’t see the Great Wall from space!