Golden Gate Bridge – Did You Know?
The Golden Gate is arguably the most famous bridge in the world. Many dream of visiting this masterpiece but did you know that…
- The bridge was not supposed to be built. US War department, owner of the land, was afraid the Navy ships could get trapped in the “San Francisco Bay”.
- It was almost painted in stripes! Black and yellow or even a more happy red and white, to help the visibility for ships and planes.
- The cables are actually 27,572 individual tiny wires spun together.
- It is one though bridge! It is designed to withstand “8 point earthquakes and up to 90 mph gusty winds”.
- The paint used for the bridge was chosen to match the colors of the hills in Marin County.
- From the bridge’s website: “The Bridge has an influence in directing the fog as it pushes up and pours down around the Bridge. Sometimes, high pressure squashes it close to the ground.”